Spicy and Sweet Squash Soup
By Lisa Shanken
November 20, 2015
- 2 Small Acorn Squash halved, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 onion diced
- 2 Celery Stalks diced, including leaves
- 4 cups Clear Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Grassfed butter or Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper (less or none if you don’t like it spicy)
- In a medium saucepan bring the squash, vegetables and stock to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Strain the soup and reserve the liquid.
- Using hand held blender, puree’ the solids.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the avocado oil over low heat. Stir in the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir into the puree’ along with 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, salt and pepper. If you prefer your soup thinner, add more of the reserved liquid.
Calories: 160kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 6gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 4153mgPotassium: 947mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1250IUVitamin C: 33.8mgCalcium: 160mgIron: 1.8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
My passion is to help you live your healthiest and most harmonious life, but in a way that’s realistic and practical for you as a unique individual on this planet. My philosophy is all about “balance,” never a diet since a diet is not sustainable for life, aka Kill The Diet.