Bacon Wrapped Shrimps
By Lisa Shanken
May 8, 2018
Bacon and shrimp are a natural combination that is hard to beat. The smoky, sweet-tasting bacon amplifies the briny flavor of the shrimp and the crisped meat accents the tenderness of the seafood. Bacon-wrapped shrimp, by our reckoning, is a nearly perfect appetizer--as long as it is cooked right, that is. It can be hard to get the bacon crisp without overcooking the shrimp. Here’s what we discovered: • Parcook the bacon in the microwave before wrapping the shrimp so that the bacon cooks crisp in the same time it takes the shrimp to cook. • Set the oven rack six inches from the heating element so that the bacon crisps quickly. If the rack is any lower, the shrimp will overcook by the time the bacon is ready.
- 4 oz bacon (4 slices)
- 1/4 tsp Table Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 24 extra-large Shrimp (1 pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chives minced
- Adjust an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler. Line a broiler-pan bottom with foil and cover with the slotted broiler-pan top.
- Slice each piece of bacon lengthwise into two long, thin strips, then cut each strip into three short pieces (you should have a total of 24 bacon pieces).
- Spread the bacon pieces out over four layers of paper towels on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cover with two more layers of paper towels.
- Microwave on high until the bacon fat begins to melt but the bacon is still pliable, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the salt, pepper, and cayenne together in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the shrimp.
- Wrap a piece of microwaved bacon around the middle of each shrimp and place on the broiler-pan top, pinning the bacon ends underneath the shrimp.
- Broil until the shrimp are pink and the edges of the bacon are brown, spinning the broiler pan around halfway through cooking, about 3 1/2 minutes.
- Skewer the shrimp and bacon with toothpicks and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with the chives before serving.
Calories: 207kcalCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 21gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1025mgPotassium: 247mgSugar: 0.1gVitamin A: 400IUVitamin C: 5.8mgIron: 1.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
My passion is to help you live your healthiest and most harmonious life, but in a way that’s realistic and practical for you as a unique individual on this planet. My philosophy is all about “balance,” never a diet since a diet is not sustainable for life, aka Kill The Diet.